History of the Northwest Antique Airplane Club
In 1959, Vic Stuhr and other enthusiasts formed a local chapter of the Antique Airplane Association. The first meeting was a dinner at the Mallory Hotel in Portland. In 1960 we received our club charter and meetings were held in members’ homes.
Our first air show was held September 24th and 26th 1960 at Pearson Airpark. Admission to the Antique Fly-in was twenty-five cents and heralded as a revival of a 1929 Air Show at 1929 prices. Tremendous public interest encouraged the club to continue and improve the annual air shows.
The 1961 Fly-In was held in conjunction with Portland and Hillsboro Jaycees at the Hillsboro Airport, but it was decided to operate future airshows alone.
Because of the National Antique Airplane Association’s lack of legal protection and a requirement for approval for club airshows, we withdrew from the National organization in 1962, and formed the Northwest Antique Airplane Club.
In 1964 Wally Olson offered space for our club house at Evergreen Airport. We obtained two surplus “Oregonian” paper sheds, and members enlarged the units, filled in the floor, walls, roof and ceiling. Lights, lumber, appliances, cabinets, paneling, paint, utilities, and furniture were contributed. Wally provided the water and septic tank, and we moved in.
The original membership began at about forty, and has grown to over three hundred. We have since extended Honorary Life Memberships; to OX-5 members, Les Tomlinson recipients, and Past Presidents.
It is our hope to encourage and hold the public interest in old airplanes and aviation history, and to do all we can to foster safety and fun in flying.